We don’t often have oranges in our house. The kids have never been overly keen and I’m not a big fan either. But over the weekend they chose some at the supermarket, so I thought that it would be nice to try a new recipe out whilst we had some in the house, as I do like a bit of orange zest in a cake or biscuit. Little Man helped me to decide what to bake, and he was very keen to wield a cookie cutter, so orange and chocolate chip biscuits it was!
This was the first time that we tried this recipe, and I made a few changes to the originals that I used to create it. I absolutely loved the smell of them baking and I now cannot get enough of them! Yes, these are set to become a regular bake here now, so I thought I’d share the recipe with you today…
Orange & Chocolate Chip Biscuits
220g Plain Flour
100g Chocolate Chips
1 Large Orange/2 Mandarins Zest
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
A Pinch of Salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Line 2 baking trays with grease-proof paper.
- Grate the orange/mandarins to create the zest into a bowl. There should be around 3 tsps worth. Add the sugar to the bowl and mix together well, mashing the two together with a spoon.
- Add the butter and vanilla essence to the bowl and mix all of it together. You should create a lovely smelling, zesty butter!
- Next add the pinch of salt and flour and stir it all in thoroughly.
- Add the final ingredient, the chocolate chips, and mix well.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your worktop and then roll out the mixture until it’s around 1cm deep.
- Select a cookie cutter shape and cut out your biscuits, placing them onto your readied grease-proof trays.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.