Hi, and thanks for visiting our blog.
It’s about our family, The Readings, written by Jocelyn, a happily married mum to two primary school-aged children. Here they will be known as Boo and Little Man, and we also have a miniature dachshund and two guinea pigs – best not leave them out!
Here on the blog you will find me sharing stories, suggestions and solutions around family life, to try to make things that little bit easier in our busy lives. I am passionate about making our lives as easy as they can be, often through organising things a little better, planning a bit more or just cutting any corners that can possibly be cut! I want to help you to save time and money wherever I possibly can, freeing you up so that you can spend some quality time with your family, or just taking time out for yourself.
Get To Know Us
Here are a few Reading facts for you…
– The Husband’s sporty and artistic, and I’m….not…! I like to read, write, manage, organise. Not as thrilling, but it is what it is. Boo seems to have inherited her daddy’s interest and talents where art’s concerned, and time will tell whether Little Man is going to be a footballer. It’s fair to say that they are little daredevils and will have a go at absolutely anything, I think I have a pair of adrenalin junkies on my hands. Both kids are readers, so my influence is in there!
– We love getting out and about together and exploring new places. Parks, picnics, farms, castles, theme parks, museums, libraries, zoos and festivals, we enjoy them all and I like to share our days out as well as mini-breaks and holidays.
– We took the kids to Disney World for the first time this year and we LOVED it! So we’re now saving to go back…it’s a lot to save for…maybe in a couple of years we’ll get there again!
– We’re a close family, the kids get on very well, and we are also lucky enough to be close to our wider family. The children have doting grandparents, fabulous aunts and uncles and two lovely cousins, all of whom we see regularly.
– Little Man is now in Year 1 at school whilst Boo is in Year 4. He’d rather be home, she adores school!
A mini biography would go something like this: ‘Happy childhood with younger brother, enjoyed school, managed of a bookshop, met and married the Husband, career move resulting in being an area manager of a building society, started a family, walked away from career, started blogging (and university), graduated, moved on to blogging full time…and here I am!’
Ice Cream. Yep, that’s the first thing that’s popped into my head…and also, flip flops, Yankee candles, flowers, Breaking Bad, sunshine, yoga, perfume, Paris, Game of Thrones, films, books, books and more books. I’ve always been interested in history, I love learning new things, I’m an enthusiastic gardener, I like faffing with interiors and I have a strong leaning towards pretty stationery purchases.
What Will You Find Here?
I will bring you our family life, from parenting wins (or fails!) to days out and family fun to inspire and to recommend, along with our reviews of anything we’ve tried to share our findings with you.
To make things run that little bit more smoothly, I will share organisational tips, practical routines, easy family meal ideas, suggestions for the home and garden and more – absolutely anything I can think of that makes family life that bit easier.
From the industrious to the calm, I will focus in on quality family time and self-care. If we’re freeing up time, let’s enjoy it. Within this, I also host a regular series, #BringBackPaper, with plenty of activities to get involved in and sharing all things paper-loving. There’s a whole community around this, as paper is my go-to ‘me-time’, so do read more about that, search the #BringBackPaper hash tag or join the Facebook group if you like to wind down with a good book, want to get back to sending snail mail again or can just never resist a stationery buy!
Come Chat With Us
If you’ve Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest accounts, do find me over there, as it’s nice to connect. I am quite active on my social media accounts so you have been warned! You can email me at Jocelyn@thereadingresidence.com, and you can keep up with our posts by subscribing to the newsletter at the bottom of this page.
And don’t hesitate to comment or get in touch. It’s always nice to hear what you think.
Thanks for reading, Jocelyn x