As I was doing something the other day that scared me, the idea for sharing these little fears of mine with you popped into my mind. I’m not talking serious phobias or anything here, just the every day things that I encounter that scare me. Totes normal stuff….
1. Steamed vegetable pouches. Why do I even buy them? I don’t deal with hot things all that well, as the rest of this list will attest to, so I hate the gush of steam that comes out of these pouches when you cut them open. Where possible, I get the Husband to open these. Yep, I’m that much of a wimp.
2. People dressed up in character costumes. You know the sort of people that appear at playgroups or in shopping centres in huge over-sized suits and always gravitate towards you as you have a child with you? The ones that you desperately try to smile and wave cheerily at so as not to pass on your weird hatred of them to your innocent son? Yes, those are the ones. I cannot help but wonder, who is in there, what are they looking at, are they a mass murderer? Well, you just don’t know, do you?!
3. Skirt/trouser hangers. Why are they so violent? The loud snap and sudden clippy movement makes me jump. As I’m pushing them down, slowly but inexorably on an item of clothing, I await with dread the moment when it actually slots into place.
4. A hot cup of tea being passed to me. No, I am not a fan of this at all. My mum and the Husband are well aware of this oddness in me, so they always hold a cup out to me by it’s handle so that I safely grab it there. But others do not, and others do not know the fear that ripples through me at this point.
5. Short matchsticks. I like my candles here, but I can only light them using the extra long matches that you can buy as I hate the flame getting anywhere near to me. Oh, and do not even get me started on sparklers – keep them well away from me!
You’re totally scared by all of these things, too, right?
Give me spiders, snakes and the dark any day!